As a white wellness practitioner, I have been thinking a lot these days about how the mainstream wellness community that I am a part of has failed. White supremacy is a power structure that exists in every single facet of our society. And in the wellness industry, we also have a long history of appropriating and profiting from healing knowledge and practices with BIPOC origins.
In our last post, we highlighted some of the BIPOC voices leading the work to decolonize wellness as an industry. Here, I want to share some of the BIPOC wellness practitioners in New Orleans who are bringing their wisdom and power to our local wellness & healing arts community. I encourage you to support them, learn from them, and share their work:
- Chicory - a self-published zine and line of small-batch herbal goods handmade in New Orleans, Louisiana by Nikki Minor
- GypsiJars Skincare & Alchemy - herbal alchemy, smoke blends, body butter, and more handmade, handcrafted by Gypsi Lewis.
- Asc3nsion Art - body adornments, herbal products, plant medicine & herbalism learning opportunities by founder Ellenie Marie Cruz.
- Dr. Tursha Hamilton - Naturopathic Doctor, speaker, author.
- SEER Energetics - elemental energy healing, coaching, and reiki with Gahiji Akil Lumumba.
- Dr. Dewaynia Wilson - a licensed Doctor of Acupuncture using five element and distal needling techniques to treat the body, mind, and spirit
- Dr. G. Love - shamanic work, ancestral work, reiki, and healing by Dr. G Love (aka Dr. Geryll Robinson)
- Aesha Rasheed - healer and Licensed Massage Therapist
- Spiritual Mermaid - Spiritual Healing and Divination working through mediumship, channeling, and intuition with Elizabeth Jasmine.
- Crescent City Conjure - a full-service Conjure, Hoodoo and Witchcraft supplier that offers spiritual tools, services, readings, magical Supplies, and consultations for the community. Founded by
- Haus of Hoodoo - Conjure Fixed Candles and Tarot Readings by Jessyka Winston.
- Sula Spirit - offering blessings, cleansings, and other spiritual services in and beyond the Temple of Light...Ile de Coin-Coin, a Shrine of Power located in the Musician’s Village in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Tatianna Tarot - clarity & personal development through traditional healing modalities, including tarot and energy work.
Movement & Fitness
- Amethyst Moon Yoga - an intimate home-based studio dedicated to providing a welcoming and sacred space for self care. Now offering virtual classes.
- Domango Training - a fitness community with purpose and personality founded by Shanda Domango Brown. Now offering virtual classes.
- Magnolia Yoga Studio - New Orleans’ first Black-owned yoga studio founded by Adrianne Jackson. Now offering virtual sessions.
- The Ohm Well - a health and wellness community founded by Valerie McMillan offering yoga, reiki, nutrition, and meditation. Now offering virtual classes.
- Move Ya Brass - fun and free weekly fitness classes founded by jazz singer Robin Barnes.
- Footprints to Fitness - fun and unique wellness classes by April Dupré.
- Boddee Goals - trainer and founder of Boddee Bands resistance band workouts via Instagram.
Please let us know any other Black wellness leaders to include if we missed your faves!